Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Week #9 Working in the Vinyard!







September 9, 2013



So, its just another rainy day here in Germany, and I love it.  Yes, it's the beginning of September and I'm in a rain coat and that is my rainy day hairdo.  That is also my new backpack which is really fun.  We had been carrying purses but when you're out all day, it kills your back.  


I love being a missionary, and I love Spandau.  Spandau is the city of Miracles!  I know the Lord is in this work and I know that He walks with us everyday. 


This week, we made some pretty high goals about how many people we wanted to teach and whatnot, and we did it prayerfully and had faith that God would help us reach those goals.  And you know what?  He did, because this is His work! 

All you have to do is pray for miracles and expect them, and then work hard and the Lord will bless you! 

We wanted to have 2 new investigators (people who wanted to learn more and set up an appointment with us).  We prayed and had faith, then got to work.  We talked to every person we saw, and it took the whole day.  But we didn't give up, and we knew Heavenly Father would help us.  Heavenly Father tests your faith.  But we found Matthias 10 minutes before we had to be home, and he was SO prepared for the gospel!  The Lord places his prepared people in the path of His faithful servants who are working hard!  I know the Lord is in this work, and we find so many people and teach so many people.  That was some of the best advice I got before I left, and what I want everyone to know as well: Christ is on our right hand, working with us, and the hosts of Heaven are behind us.  This is the work of God and I am so blessed to be a part of it!

I know this is His work because I see people change their lives around everyday because they know that we are teaching the words of God.  We have one investigator in particular whom we just LOVE!!  Oh he's the best!  I am so humbled when I teach him.  He is from Russia and has spent the last 7 years in and out of prison because of problems with alchoholism.  We found him on the street and he told us later that as soon as he saw us, he knew we were from God.  He is so solid.  He has come to church every week since (6 weeks) and wants to be baptized.  He has already stopped tea and coffee and alcohol, and is working on quitting smoking.  He has so much faith and wants a new life.  It is amazing to watch the Atonement work in the lives of the people here.  It is so humbling to be a part of it, and to be the mouthpiece for the Lord, teaching of His sacrifice and His love.  We love this man so much and I know that God loves him.  And I know that God loves each and everyone of us.  So much.  He knows us and He is with us.  We are never alone because we have Christ.
I love being a missionary.

Okay, so why are we teaching all these Russians and other foreigners?  That is because Berlin is considered "multikulti!


Multikulti Berlin



Berlin likes to portray itself as Germany's most international city, a capital with a tolerant, worldly population that celebrates its diversity in street festivals, ethnic restaurants, and demonstrations for minority rights. "Multikulti," slang for multikulturell (multicultural), denotes an accepting attitude toward different cultures and religions, and by any standard Berlin is indeed international: 13% of its population has a non-German background (more than any other part in Germany); the culture, nightlife, and social scenes are a global potpourri.



 
For those of you who have asked, my German improves daily.  I can understand everything and am speaking pretty well.  I'm also learning how to grocery shop, ride the trains and public transportation and live like a German.  Fun!

Here is another picture of Berlin.  It is of street musicians looking to pick up a few Euros and taking refuge under the World Clock while they sing and play guitar.  The location of this photo is Alexanderplatz, formerly part of East Berlin. There's so much else to notice here.  The tall tower is the Fernsehturm (TV Tower--also from the GDR) which is the second tallest structure in Europe.  Look closely--the top reminds me of the City in the Clouds.  Also, on the right you can see a department store with mannequins on the second floor.  Not in Germany.  That is the first floor.  The other one is the Ground Floor.  This is also a foot traffic only area, very common in Germany.  





 


I love teaching and testifying of Christ all day.  I love seeing His love and forgiveness change the hearts of those we teach.  This church is true and this is the work of God.  I know that He is beside me as I work in His vineyard.  
I love you all so much, and I am praying for you!  

Thanks for reading my blog.  It means so much to me. 

Love, Sister Stringham

No comments:

Post a Comment